10.22.2010

Lace Nails




I was always resistant to putting lace on nails because everything that I had previously seen looked pretty messy. Now I'm not saying that mine are perfect, because they're not, but I tried my darnedest. Anyway, I changed my mind about attempting this mani because I have recently inherited a bunch of lace scraps (see first picture) that are too small to really do anything with so I thought I'd give it a go.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with this look and I will say that it looks much better in person. To me it's very Noirlette, and if you're not into that style it'll still be great for Halloween without being overtly obvious.

Here's how to do it:
  1. 1 or 2 coats of your favorite color (enough to make it opaque). I used 2 coats of China Glaze's Light as Air.
  2. After that has dried, cut a piece of lace that is roughly the size of your nail (preferably slightly larger so you can trim it down).
  3. With your base color or a clear coat paint the nail you want to cover.
  4. Place the lace on the wet nail. If you don't like the placement, peel it up instead of pushing it to where you want it. Pushing it will cause the color to be shoved on top of the lace. Hold down the lace until it sticks to the nail--pay extra attention to the edges.
  5. Trim the excess lace with small, sharp scissors.
  6. After the lace has dried onto the nail, paint on a top coat.
  7. If the edges are still rough from the lace, file downward on the edges with a super fine nail file (like you would find on a buffer block) after the top coat has dried.
  8. If you had to do step #7, add another top coat... and then maybe another if your nails are rough on top.
That's it! It really is much easier that it seems!

No comments:

Post a Comment