9.25.2010

Space: The Final Frontier

Mark my words, spacey/galaxy/nebulous nail art is going to be the next "in" thing. The great thing is that it's a super easy look to pull off as long as you have the right range of colors and a few tools. Here's everything I used in order:


From left to right:
1 OPI's Here Today... Aragon Tomorrow (green based black)
2 Nicole by OPI's Black to the Future (black with micro-glitter)
3 Barielle's U-Concrete-Me
4 China Glaze's Shower Together
5 China Glaze's Grape Pop
6 OPI's Meet Me on the Star Ferry (pink frost with gold undertones)
7 Benefit shimmer powder in Mint Julep (blue/silver glitter) (pictured with an E.L.F. eyeshadow brush)
8 CM Nail Art's Gold Diamond (silver/gold/bronze glitter)
9 Seche Vite top coat

Here's how to do it:
One full coat of #1, followed by another full coat of #2. I did this because I'm running out of the Nicole, so I just used another black underneath to get a solid color. The Nicole has multicolored micro-glitter so it's perfect for that tiny star look. Next, I started to sponge on patches of #4, 5, and 6 on top of each other to give a cloudy look.

To do this, you can cut up a sponge (like a cosmetic round) which is what I was going to use until I saw the spongey bits holding the cosmetic rounds together that are conveniently pre-cut into wedges. Paint the polish onto the sponge (as pictured) and sponge it on parts of your nail. Don't sponge the whole nail or else you'll lose the depth that you're trying to create.

On top of the 3-layered sponged sections I dusted on the shimmer powder (#7),  then randomly added glitter with #8, and topped it off with the Seche (#9). It may seem like a lot of work, but it's a super simple look to pull off and mistakes aren't a big deal because space is messy!

Here's the result pictured in different angles/types of indoor light to show as many of the colors as I can:

Pre-cleanup



I'll try to post a picture of the nails in natural sunlight. Since I'm not one to resist a theme, I'm going to go play with my Star Trek action figures while watching the Home Movies episode about Starboy and the Captain of Outer Space after I change in to my Star Wars shirt. To infinity and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment